The current English baby and kids group activities running in Budapest as of 15 September 2014 are:
- The Budapest Moms Wednesday playgroup – Wednesdays between 10am and 12.30pm.
The group is open to moms with babies, toddlers and pregnant women and it’s completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. Address: 6th district, Andrassy ut 98. (The building of Magnet Bank) Nearest station is Kodaly Korond of the M1 metro or bus 105 . With strollers best to walk up on Andrassy ut from Oktogon towards Heroes Sq. The Play room is located on the half floor and is accessible only by a flight of 10 stairs on a wide staircase. Strollers can be left safely on the ground floor by the reception area. Ask for GYEREKSZOBA if you can’t find it. Price: 1000 HUF for 1 kid, in case of siblings – 600 HUF per child. We need a minimum of 6 moms to keep this price.
- The Budapest Moms Friday playgroup – every Friday from 10 am to 12 pm. The group is open to moms with babies until 18 mts and pregnant women and it’s completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. Address: Hiradó Kávézó: Erzsébet körút 13. (it’s 2 min walk from Wesselényi utca 4-6 tram stop, or 5 min from Blaha Lujza tér). Price: 500HUF
- Rhyme Time with Barbara Petri – Budapest Mom2Mom Sale organiser Barbara Petri started regular singing classes last year and her rhyme time classes have extended to many different locations across the city from September. From ages 6mts to 5 years. Kacifant Playhouse downtown (Brody Sandor utca 2, 8th district) next to the National Museum will host two classes, one for pre-schoolers from 2-5 yrs on Wednesday afternoons at 16.45 and one for babies and toddlers from 6mts – 2 years at 10am Thursday mornings. 1500 HUF per occasion (or 1200 with a monthly pass and it includes 30 mins free play in the playhouse) but price varies across the different locations. There are classes at 10.30am Monday and Tuesday mornings at two different 13th district locations. More information on rhymetime.hu/english/ or on the Facebook page.
- Tickle Time with James Cloke – James, a teacher from Canada is starting out a program for the littlest ones (0-2yrs) called “Tickle Time”. It involves songs and rhymes with gestures that use rubbing, patting, bouncing and of course tickling to provide babies and young toddlers with sensory stimulations. James always brings his guitar and plays on it throughout the sessions.
Every Tuesday from 9.30 till 11.00am, including a 30-40mins guided tickle play at Babilon Language School near Astoria. Price: 1300 HUF/ session
- Playgroup at Apple Tree Kindergarten in Buda – Playgroup Sessions at Apple Tree English language playgroup for 1-3 year old children on Monday mornings from 10-11am. 1 hour of fun – singing and playing in the gymnasium of Apple Tree together with mommy, daddy, granny, or a baby sitter. Price: 1200 HUF/session or 5000 HUF for 5 sessions. To sign up or to get more info write to email@example.com Address: 1026 Budapest, Trombitás út 11. Nearest stop is Nyul utca on tram 61 (one stop after Szell Kalman ter) Apple Tree also organises several activity classes in English for kids not attending the kindergarten. Their ‘Wednesday Program’ caters for 4-6 years old children, who would like to spend an entire day with English language activities.Info here
- Action Tots by Dance Craze Academy
- Every Monday 10:00 – 10:45 at The English Garden Pre-School, Villám utca 25,Budapest, 1089
- Every Tuesday 10:00 – 10:45 at Kids Kiosk, Bimbo Utca 194, Budapest 1026
Props, great music, bubbles, mime, stories, songs and rhymes enrich and charm the budding dancers as they have fun, grow in confidence and keep fit, knowing that mum or a loved carer is nearby.Ideal for all tots and their mums or carers who would like a fun morning with Native English teachers in a native English environment!! Stay on until 12:00 noon for free play, tea and coffee & mum & toddler social time! 12 000 HUF (six week session), or 2500 HUF per session. places limited so please email sandra@
- Drama Class for 3-6 yr olds by Drama Works
Time: Wednesdays 15:15 – 16:00 (age 3-4yrs) 16:00 – 16:45 (age 5-6yrs) 1st Semester: 17th September 2014 – 28th January 2015 Location: A-Z Kindergarten, 1125, Budapest, Zsolna utca 2 (In the gym downstairs) Cost:30 000 HUF
Course description: At this young age children have a natural ability to make-believe. Through imaginative play they explore the world around them. We use mime and movement; exploring stories and characters that the children can relate to. Through the imagination we create a magical world which is full of fun!
Drama classes provide a fun way for students to develop confidence and language skills. Through stories and songs we encourage students to use their imagination and express themselves. Music Theatre club is creative and full of fun!
Show time! The children work towards a mini musical play which they perform in an open class at the end of the course.
More information: www.dramaworks.hu
Baby Swimming options in English:
- Little Swimmers in Budapest – English-Hungarian speaking baby&toddler swimming courses for kids between 4 month and 3 year in district 13, near Jaszai Mari ter in Pest. Registration is on for Autumn 2014 Baby Swimming Course! Toddler group at 10.45, baby group at 11.30. Signing up for the full length courses is necessary, no drop-ins! For more information send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other activities for older kids:
- Dramaworks – English language theatre school in Budapest offers classes in Acting and Music Theatre for all ages. All classes are taught in English by professional teachers who are passionate about theatre. Located in Angyalföldi József Attila Művelődési Központ (Culture Centre) 1131 Budapest, József Attila tér 4.
- Dance Craze Academy – Dancing, ballet, performing arts for different ages. Located in Buda, at Alsovolgy ut. 26 in district 12 by the 61 tram
- RolliPolli – gymnastics, ballet, judo, karate, baby gym class. Billingual English- Hungarian Wednesdays. some classes are in English only. Address: Budapest – 1126, Orbánhegyi út 5.
- Kids tap and percussive dance class in English for 5-7 yr olds (Mondays 17:00-18:00) at Jam Tancmuhely by Michelle Cervonaro from Australia. 2000 HUF per occasion
- Pirez Centre for Kids – Pirez Playground for 6-8 yr old on Thursdays from 6-7pm in English. Buda, 11th district
Do let us know if you have come across other English kids activities and I update the post! Enjoy!
Andi Lustak was born in Budapest and is a Freelance Technology PR consultant when she is working and a mom of a beautiful 4.5 years old daughter and a 4 mts old son. Andi studied, worked and lived in London for 9 years before relocating back to Budapest to spend a big chunk of the year in her beloved home city with her British husband. She found Reka’s baby-mommy group when she was only 4 months pregnant in 2009 and met some great friends since through this great community. When she has time, she is one of the editor and content producer of Budapest Moms and is also an active admin of the Bp Moms Facebook page.