There has been a lot of changes in the English activities in town since the last update so see below what programmes will be still running from March 2013.
- The Budapest Moms toddler playgroup is moving back to its old Pest location starting on the 6th March. It will be still on Wednesdays between 10am and 12.30pm. (Last date in Kacifant is 27 February)
Address: 6th district, Andrassy ut 98. (The building of Magnet Bank) Nearest station is Kodaly Korond of the M1 metro or bus 105 . With strollers best to walk up on Andrassy ut from Oktogon towards Heroes Sq. The Play room is located on the half floor and is accessible only by a flight of 10 stairs on a wide staircase. Strollers can be left safely on the ground floor by the reception area. Ask for GYEREKSZOBA if you can’t find it.
Price: 750 HUF for 1 kid, in case of siblings – 500 HUF per child.
- Firstmed Baby Club is a FREE baby club every Friday from 10 am to 12 pm organized by FirstMed and held by Budapest Moms Founder, Reka Morvay who is a psychologist, doula, and a lactation consultant. It’s open to moms with pre-walker babies and pregnant women. Reka can offer breastfeeding advice and answer questions regarding baby’s feeding, sleeping and other concerns. If you’re pregnant and have questions about having a baby in Hungary, she’d be glad to answer. The group is a great way to meet other moms and socialize. The group is completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. It is also quite small, only 3-5 moms at most, so it is a quiet, relaxing environment. Address: FirstMed Center, 1015 Budapest Hattyú u. 14. 5th floor meeting room. Nearest stop is Szena ter stop of 4/6 tram.
- Monkey Business run by Krisztina Gaal holds several movement classes for different age groups from 6mth to 3.5 years on Thursdays in its Buda location held in the gym of the A-Z International Kindergarten in 12th district Zsolna utca. Free trial class after that signing up for a series of 8 weeks. http://www.monkeybusiness.hu/
- The Magical Music English baby and toddler singing group is held by Lisa Steele, kindergarten teacher and musician from Australia on Thursdays from 10.30am . She has moved to a new location now: Pest, Rakoczi ut 86 (nearest stop in Blaha Lujza ter M2 metro or 4/6 tram), buzzer 52. 1200 HUF per class. Max 8 kids. Registration is necessary: lisaroseska@gm
Other English speaking playgroups in town:
- Another new Buda playgroup started in Levendula Playhouse on Mondays from 9-12. Address: 1125 Budapest, Zirzen Janka utca 12. (a Big yellow house with white fence on the corner of the street) To get there: From Szell Kalman Square: Bus 156 to last stop of Daniel ut by the roundabout or Bus 155 (From direction of Szell Kalman Sq: György Aladár utca stop, from direction of Zugligeti street: Kiss Áron street Price : 750Huf per family (includes 3hrs of play and a free coffee or tea)
- Winnie the Pooh Nursery and Kindergarten has started a playgroup for babies and toddlers on Wednesday mornings. It’s a good alternative for Buda Moms who can’t make it to the Pest playgroup every week. When: every Wednesday between 9:30 am and 11:30 am. Where: 1125 Budapest, Rőzse köz 4. ( near János hospital) Parking is available on Dios árok út. You can take bus 128 from Széll Kálmán tér. 800 HUF per child.
- Playgroup at Apple Tree Kindergarten – English language playgroup for children from 1 year old. 2 hours of fun – singing, playing in the gymnasium of Apple Tree. When: every Friday from 10.00 am till 12.00 pm. 2500 HUF per session. Address: 1026 Budapest, Trombitás út 11. Nearest stop in Nyul utca on tram 61 (one stop after Szell Kalman ter) For more info write to email@example.com Apple Tree also organises several activity classes in English for kids not attending the kindergarten. Info here: http://www.appletree-kindergarten.hu/extra-activities/wednesday-program.html
Other activities for older kids:
- Dramaworks – English language theatre school in Budapest offers classes in Acting and Music Theatre for all ages. All classes are taught in English by professional teachers who are passionate about theatre. Located in Angyalföldi József Attila Művelődési Központ (Culture Centre) 1131 Budapest, József Attila tér 4.
- Dance Craze Academy – Dancing, ballet, performing arts for different ages. Located in Pest, 8th district off the korut by 32-esek tere 1088 Budapest, Krúdy Gy. u 15 Fszt 3.
- RolliPolli – gymnastics, ballet, judo, karate, baby gym class. Billingual English- Hungarian Wednesdays. some classes are in English only. Address: Budapest – 1126, Orbánhegyi út 5. http://www.rollipolli.hu/english_brief
Do let us know if you have come across other English kids activities and I update the post! Enjoy!