In this post I have collected the English activities and playgroups that are aimed at toddlers and younger babies that are starting up or continuing from September 2012.
Kacifant Playhouse will continue to host the Budapest Moms baby and toddler playgroup on Wednesdays (first on 5th September) between 10am and 1pm. (750 HUF per mom) (Address: Bp, Brody Sandor utca 2, Pest downtown, next to National Museum)
The English activities of Magical Music English with Lisa Steele and the Fairy Ballet classes are no longer going in Kacifant but you can still continue to join Krisztina Gaal’s Monkey Business on Mondays.
- Monkey Business with Krisztina Gaál will continue on Mondays at 10am (6 mts – 1.5 yr) in Kacifant. Moms should contact Krisztina for further details: http://www.monkeybusiness.hu/
Monkey Business is also going strong on Thursdays in its Buda location held in the gym of the A-Z International Kindergarden in Zsolna utca. (Several classes in the morning for different age groups, check out the website.
- The Magical Music English class with Lisa Steele, kindergarten teacher and musician from Australia has moved to NoHa Studio and will be held on Thursdays at 11am. Address: Pozsonyi ut 12, 13th District – 2 mins walk from the 4/6 tram stop of Jaszai Mari ter.
Other English speaking playgroups in town (actually all are in Buda)
- Firstmed Baby Clubis a FREE baby club every Tuesday from 10:30 am to 12 pm organized by FirstMed and held by Budapest Moms Founder, Reka Morvay who is a psychologist, doula, and a lactation consultant. It’s open to moms with pre-walker babies and pregnant women. Reka can offer breastfeeding advice and answer questions regarding baby’s feeding, sleeping and other concerns. If you’re pregnant and have questions about having a baby in Hungary, she’d be glad to answer. The group is a great way to meet other moms and socialize. The group is completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. It is also quite small, only 3-5 moms at most, so it is a quiet, relaxing environment.
When: Every Tuesday from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm.Where: Életkör, 1126 Budapest Hertelendy u. 1/b. 1st floor #14.
- Another new Buda playgroup started in Levendula Playhouse on Mondays from 9-12. Address: 1125 Budapest, Zirzen Janka utca 12. (a Big yellow house with white fence on the corner of the street) To get there: From Szell Kalman Square: Bus 156 to last stop of Daniel ut by the roundabout or Bus 155 (From direction of Szell Kalman Sq: György Aladár utca stop, from direction of Zugligeti street: Kiss Áron street Price : 750Huf per family (includes 3hrs of play and a free coffee or tea)
- Winnie the Pooh Nursery and Kindergarten has started a FREE playgroup for babies and toddlers on Wednesday mornings. It’s a good alternative for Buda Moms who can’t make it to the Pest playgroup to Kacifant every week. When: every Wednesday between 9:30 am and 11:30 am. Where: 1125 Budapest, Rőzse köz 4. ( near János hospital) Parking is available on Dios árok út. You can take bus 128 from Széll Kálmán tér.
Other activities for older kids:
- Dramaworks – English language theatre school in Budapest offers classes in Acting and Music Theatre for all ages. All classes are taught in English by professional teachers who are passionate about theatre. Located in Angyalföldi József Attila Művelődési Központ (Culture Centre) 1131 Budapest, József Attila tér 4.
- Dance Craze Academy – Dancing, ballet, performing arts for different ages. Located in Pest, 8th district off the korut by 32-esek tere 1088 Budapest
Krúdy Gy. u 15 Fszt 3.
Do let us know if you have come across other English kids activities and I update the post! Enjoy!
Andi Lustak was born in Budapest and is a Freelance Technology PR consultant when she is working and a mom of a beautiful 2 years old daughter. Andi studied, worked and lived in London for 9 years before relocating back to Budapest to spend a big chunk of the year in her beloved home city with her British husband. She found Reka’s baby-mommy group when she was only 4 months pregnant in 2009 and met some great friends since through this great community. Baby-free time these days means watching a lot of box sets in the evening, she and her hubby are currently into Mad Man, Homeland and can’t wait for the new seasons of True Blood and Fringe.