The current English baby and kids group activities running in Budapest as of 15 September 2016 are:
- The Budapest Moms playgroup – Fridays between 10am and 12.00pm.
The group is open to moms with babies, toddlers and pregnant women and it’s completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. Address: 6th district, Andrassy ut 98. (The building of Magnet Bank) Nearest station is Kodaly Korond of the M1 metro or bus 105 . With strollers best to walk up on Andrassy ut from Oktogon towards Heroes Sq. The Play room is located on the half floor and is accessible only by a flight of 10 stairs on a wide staircase. Strollers can be left safely on the ground floor by the reception area. Ask for GYEREKSZOBA if you can’t find it. Price: 500 Huf per family.
Other English playgroups or activities:
- Tickle Time with James Cloke – James, a teacher from Canada has been running this program for the littlest ones (0-2yrs) called “Tickle Time” for a few years now. It involves songs and rhymes with gestures, sign language that use rubbing, patting, bouncing and of course tickling to provide babies and young toddlers with sensory stimulations. James always brings his guitar and plays on it throughout the sessions.
Every Tuesday from 9.30 till 11.00am, including a 30-40mins guided tickle play at Babilon Language School near Astoria. Address: Karoly krt. 3/A 4th floor Price: 1500 HUF/ session or cheaper with a pass
NEW! Baby Steps – James will have 2 new courses for toddlers ages 2-4. No obligation trial lesson.
The Baby Steps program is an early introduction to English for Pre-k children accompanied by a parent. Children and their parents participate together in songs, stories and simple activities lead by a native English instructor to create an English speaking environment. In each lesson we will practice fundamental basics such as colors, shapes and numbers as well as vocabulary based on a theme such as animals, food, clothing, etc. The goal is to give the children the opportunity to get accustomed to the rhythm and melody of the English language. This course also provides parents with great ideas for practicing English at home. Same location as Tickle Time: Babilon Language School near Astoria. Address: Karoly krt. 3/A 4th floor
Baby Steps 1
Starting September 19th
Baby Steps 2
Starting September 22nd
Full year (September-June) 48000 Ft
Half year (September-February-June) 25000 Ft
- Sing Along Kids (NEW)Sing Along Kids is a new English singing class for babies and toddlers by Cleo Mitilineou operasinger, a singing and a piano teacher. She holds a Master degree in Singing and teaching and in Opera from the Liszt Academy of Music and has been performing solo at the Hungarian State Opera House for 15 years. She is a mom of 2 kids.Traditional and modern english songs as well nursery rhymes performed in the meetings, teach kids the English alphabet, numbers, animals, colors, body parts and involve all kind of movement/dancing. Recommended for babies of 4 months old up to 4 years old children .
Every Tuesday at 4.30 pm at Kacifánt playing house, 1088 Budapest, Bródy Sándor u.2,.I.em.7.( please check kacifant website for prices)
Every Wednesday at 10 am near the Parliament. Vécsey u. 5. Ring bell 13 . 1st floor. REGISTRATION NEEDED at firstname.lastname@example.org +3620 221 3475.
Every Thursday at 10 am at MagNet House on Andràssy út 98.
Every Friday at 4.30 pm at Borsmama House, Budaörs, Petőfi Sándor u.60
Fee: 1500 Ft or 6,000 Ft for 5 prepaid activities for Magnet House. Budaörs 1500 Ft per class. 1200 ft for the activity near the Parliament
- Rhyme Time – Budapest Mom2Mom Sale organiser Barbara Petri has been running regular singing classes for a couple of years now for babies and kids from ages 6mts to 5 years and her Rhyme Time classes have extended to many different locations across the city. Mondays you can join the session at Angyalföldi Gyermekház (district 13, Dagály u. 15/a) at 10am and there are 2 Buda groups in 11th and 3rd districts. More information on rhymetime.hu/english/ or on the Facebook page.
- Playgroup at Apple Tree Kindergarten in Buda – Playgroup Sessions at Apple Tree English language playgroup for 1-3 year old children on Monday mornings from 10-11am. 1 hour of fun – singing and playing in the gymnasium of Apple Tree together with mommy, daddy, granny, or a baby sitter. Price: 1200 HUF/session or 5000 HUF for 5 sessions. For more info contact Mariann Kehrling at email@example.com
or +36 30 708 2248 Address: 1026 Budapest, Trombitás út 11. Nearest stop is Nyul utca on tram 61 (one stop after Szell Kalman ter) Apple Tree also organises several activity classes in English for kids not attending the kindergarten. Their ‘Tuesday Program’ caters for 4-6 years old children, who would like to spend an entire day with English language activities.Info here
- Weekly Music Theatre & Drama Classes for 3-6 yr olds by Drama Works
Location: Various International kindergartens and schools in Pest and Buda
Show time! The children work towards a mini musical play which they perform in an open class at the end of the course. More information: Dramaworks locations
Baby Swimming options in English:
- Little Swimmers in Budapest – English-Hungarian speaking baby&toddler swimming courses for kids between 4 month and 3 year in district 13, near Jaszai Mari ter in Pest. Registration is on for Autumn 2016 Baby Swimming Course! Signing up for the full length courses is necessary, no drop-ins! For more information send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other activities for older kids:
- BudapestAfterSchool – Melanie Sefton’s new school and community centre for native English speakers in the afternoons. There are weekly literature and literacy classes from ages 6-12 as well as clubs in English such as art history, theatre, drawing, ‘design your own business’ and taekwondo. For more information visit https://budapestafterschool.com/for-native-speakers/
- Dramaworks – English language theatre school in Budapest offers classes in Acting and Music Theatre for all ages. All classes are taught in English by professional teachers who are passionate about theatre. Located in Angyalföldi József Attila Művelődési Központ (Culture Centre) 1131 Budapest, József Attila tér 4.
- Dance Craze Academy – Dancing, ballet, performing arts for different ages. Locations in different international schools such as Apple Tree, Happy Kids, Britannica, SEK school etc check their website for the full calendar of classes! www.dca.hu
- RolliPolli – gymnastics, ballet, judo, karate, baby gym class. Billingual English- Hungarian Wednesdays. some classes are in English only. Address: Budapest – 1126, Orbánhegyi út 5.
Do let us know if you have come across other English kids activities and I update the post! Enjoy!
Andi Lustak was born in Budapest and is a Freelance Technology PR consultant when she is working and a mom of a beautiful 6.5 years old daughter and a 2 yrs old son. Andi studied, worked and lived in London for 9 years before relocating back to Budapest to spend a big chunk of the year in her beloved home city with her British husband. She found Reka’s baby-mommy group when she was only 4 months pregnant in 2009 and met some great friends since through this great community. When she has time, she is one of the editor and content producer of Budapest Moms and is also an active admin of the Bp Moms Facebook page.