The current English baby and kids group activities running in Budapest as of 1 October 2015 are:
- The Budapest Moms playgroup – Fridays between 10am and 12.00pm.
The group is open to moms with babies, toddlers and pregnant women and it’s completely informal, just show up whenever you can, no need to check in. Address: 6th district, Andrassy ut 98. (The building of Magnet Bank) Nearest station is Kodaly Korond of the M1 metro or bus 105 . With strollers best to walk up on Andrassy ut from Oktogon towards Heroes Sq. The Play room is located on the half floor and is accessible only by a flight of 10 stairs on a wide staircase. Strollers can be left safely on the ground floor by the reception area. Ask for GYEREKSZOBA if you can’t find it. Price: 750 Huf per family.
Other English playgroups or activities:
- Tickle Time with James Cloke – James, a teacher from Canada has been running this program for the littlest ones (0-2yrs) called “Tickle Time” for over a year now. It involves songs and rhymes with gestures, sign language that use rubbing, patting, bouncing and of course tickling to provide babies and young toddlers with sensory stimulations. James always brings his guitar and plays on it throughout the sessions.
Every Tuesday from 9.30 till 11.00am, including a 30-40mins guided tickle play at Babilon Language School near Astoria. Address: Karoly krt. 3/A 4th floor Price: 1500 HUF/ session or cheaper with a pass
- Rhyme Time – Budapest Mom2Mom Sale organiser Barbara Petri has been running regular singing classes for a couple of years now for babies and kids from ages 6mts to 5 years and her Rhyme Time classes have extended to many different locations across the city. Mondays you can join the session at Angyalföldi Gyermekház (district 13, Dagály u. 15/a) at 10am and there is a Buda group too at Fő tér 2. on Wednesdays from 10. More information on rhymetime.hu/english/ or on the Facebook page.
- Playgroup at Apple Tree Kindergarten in Buda – Playgroup Sessions at Apple Tree English language playgroup for 1-3 year old children on Monday mornings from 10-11am. 1 hour of fun – singing and playing in the gymnasium of Apple Tree together with mommy, daddy, granny, or a baby sitter. Price: 1200 HUF/session or 5000 HUF for 5 sessions. To sign up or to get more info write to firstname.lastname@example.org Address: 1026 Budapest, Trombitás út 11. Nearest stop is Nyul utca on tram 61 (one stop after Szell Kalman ter) Apple Tree also organises several activity classes in English for kids not attending the kindergarten. Their ‘Tuesday Program’ caters for 4-6 years old children, who would like to spend an entire day with English language activities.Info here
- Action Tots by Dance Craze Academy
Time: 10.00-10.45 am on FridaysLocation: LEE Academy, 1024. Budapest, Fillér utca 11. A/1. Doorbell: 54Props, great music, baby gymnastics, bubbles, mime, stories, songs and rhymes enrich and charm the budding dancers as they have fun, grow in confidence and keep fit, knowing that mum or a loved carer is nearby.
Contact Sandra for a free trial! Class will only run if 6 or more sign-up!
Contact: email@example.com or +36 30 919 8417
Price: 12 000 Ft/six week session
- Music Theatre & Drama Class for 3-6 yr olds by Drama Works
Cost: 30 000 HUF per semester Registration / or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This class isopen to all children as well as those attending A-Z.
Course description: At this young age children have a natural ability to make-believe. Through imaginative play they explore the world around them. We use mime and movement; exploring stories and characters that the children can relate to. Through the imagination we create a magical world which is full of fun!
Drama classes provide a fun way for students to develop confidence and language skills. Through stories and songs we encourage students to use their imagination and express themselves. Music Theatre club is creative and full of fun!
Show time! The children work towards a mini musical play which they perform in an open class at the end of the course.More information: www.dramaworks.hu
Baby Swimming options in English:
- Little Swimmers in Budapest – English-Hungarian speaking baby&toddler swimming courses for kids between 4 month and 3 year in district 13, near Jaszai Mari ter in Pest. Registration is on for Autumn 2015 Baby Swimming Course! Signing up for the full length courses is necessary, no drop-ins! For more information send email to email@example.com
Other activities for older kids:
- Dramaworks – English language theatre school in Budapest offers classes in Acting and Music Theatre for all ages. All classes are taught in English by professional teachers who are passionate about theatre. Located in Angyalföldi József Attila Művelődési Központ (Culture Centre) 1131 Budapest, József Attila tér 4.
- Dance Craze Academy – Dancing, ballet, performing arts for different ages. Locations in different international schools such as Apple Tree, Happy Kids, Britannica, SEK school etc check their website for the full calendar of classes! www.dca.hu
- RolliPolli – gymnastics, ballet, judo, karate, baby gym class. Billingual English- Hungarian Wednesdays. some classes are in English only. Address: Budapest – 1126, Orbánhegyi út 5.
Do let us know if you have come across other English kids activities and I update the post! Enjoy!
Andi Lustak was born in Budapest and is a Freelance Technology PR consultant when she is working and a mom of a beautiful 5.5 years old daughter and a 18 mts old son. Andi studied, worked and lived in London for 9 years before relocating back to Budapest to spend a big chunk of the year in her beloved home city with her British husband. She found Reka’s baby-mommy group when she was only 4 months pregnant in 2009 and met some great friends since through this great community. When she has time, she is one of the editor and content producer of Budapest Moms and is also an active admin of the Bp Moms Facebook page.