Budapest Moms Mailing List Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
It’s both. Budapest Moms uses Google Groups to power our discussion forum/mailing list. That means you can access the messages either through your email inbox or on the web. You can browse messages from others through the Budapest Moms website or through the Google Groups website just like a discussion forum, or you can choose to receive messages by email in your inbox (most of our existing members use this option). You will need to create a Google Groups account for yourself to be able to post messages, though you can read older messages without one.
Are my messages private or can anyone see them?
All messages sent to Budapest Moms are PUBLIC and searchable. Messages are archived, and these archives are public and can be viewed by anyone. If you use your real name and your regular email address, anyone doing a Google search will see all your messages sent to the Budapest Moms mailing list.
Can I take my name off old messages? People are googling my name and embarrassing messages from the Budapest Moms mailing list keep popping up!
No, you cannot take your name off old messages, but you can delete your old messages. Go to the Budapest Moms Google Groups webpage and do a search at the top for your name and/or email address to get a list of all your previous messages. Then you can go through them individually and delete them.
I sent my first message to the list a while ago, but I don’t see it anywhere!
Your first email to the group will go through human moderation to check that you are a real person. That means that the first message you send to the group will have to be approved my a human moderator before it appears on the mailing list. Please be patient; this approval usually does not take longer than 24 hours. Your subsequent messages will not need to pass through moderation; this is a one-time check to weed out spammers.
I’m getting too many messages.
You can change your settings to:
- receive no email at all (check new messages on the web)
- receive 1 email per day
- receive 1 email per 25 messages
To change your preferences, go to the Budapest Moms Google Groups page, click on the My membership button next to the group name. A popup window will appear, and give you a dropdown menu. Select the option that you’d prefer.
I want to unsubscribe.
We’re sorry to see you go, but if the messages are no longer relevant or you’ve left the country, it’s understandable you don’t want to clutter your inbox anymore.
Go to the Budapest Moms Google Groups page, click on the My membership button next to the group name. A popup window will appear. At the very bottom, next to the Save and Cancel buttons there is a link for leaving the group.
Can I advertise on the Budapest Moms mailing list?
If you are a member of the group (i.e., a Budapest Mom) and you have a service aimed at other Budapest Moms, feel free to email the list with information about your service. As long as you don’t abuse this privilege by flooding the group with unnecessary emails, you don’t need to get permission in advance.
If you are a member of the group (i.e., a Budapest Mom) and you know of a service or event organized by someone else that you think others in the group might find interesting, feel free to email the list. In fact, if you are enthusiastic about this, you can request access to the Budapest Moms Events Calendar and do us all a favor by listing these events in the Calendar.
If you are a merchant or company in Hungary and not a member of the community, but you have a service you would like to advertise to Budapest Moms, please email email@example.com to discuss details of advertising.
I want to volunteer for Budapest Moms!
Glad to hear it! We are always looking for people to organize events (whether free or paid), write more articles, or offer their expertise in any area. We have a separate mailing list for Budapest Moms Organizers. Please firstname.lastname@example.org to request to join the organizers’ list.
Rules of participating in the discussion forum/mailing list/Google group
1. Please introduce yourself when you join. We love to meet new people and you just might find others from your neck of the woods.
2. Please be respectful of the other people and their views on this mailing list. We all come from different backgrounds, and may hold vastly different views on parenting, culture, religion, politics.
3. Please do not forward chain messages or spam to the group.
4. Do feel free to ask any questions or share any information that you think the community could benefit from.
Joining and leaving
1. You may sign up using Google Groups web interface or request an invitation to join.
2. Your first email to the group will go through human moderation to check that you are a real person. That means that the first message you send to the group will have to be approved my a human moderator before it appears on the mailing list. Please be patient; this approval usually does not take longer than 24 hours. Your subsequent messages will not need to pass through moderation; this is a one-time check to weed out spammers.
3. If you find that you get too much email through the group, you can change your settings by visiting https://groups.
4. If you would like to leave the group, please visit https://groups.google.
Welcome to the Budapest Moms mailing list!