Here is my list of the best Buda kids-friendly restaurants. I lived in 1st district just below the castle for almost 2 years so I got to try out most of these on the list. Do let us know if you know any others and I include those on the list too.
- Address: Budapest, Krisztina tér 3.
- Phone: 06 1 225 1407
- Directions: Krisztina ter stop of 105 bus or short walk from M2 Deli station stop
- Info: My favourite eatery in Buda, I still think it’s the best food and service in Budapest. At weekends they do brunches and put up a children’s corner with little table, some toys, arts and crafts. Highchairs, no changing-table but the ladies toilet is spacious with a comfy armchair so easy to change your little ones.
Pizza EATaliano restaurant (former Pizza Marziano)
- Budapest, I. Batthyány tér 6.
- Open: 10:00 – 24:00
- Phone: 06-1-225-2700
- Directions: M2 Batthany ter metro stop
The Próbaüzem Restaurant & Café
- Address: Budapest, Kis Rókus u. 16–20. upstairs in the Millenáris Fogadó within the Millenaris Park
- Open: from 10am till 10 pm
- Directions: Szena ter 4/6 tram stop. Walk between the two Mammut mall buildings and take the first right, the entrance of the park is about 200 meters.
- Info: This newly open restaurant has a great kid’s corner, diaper-changing station downstairs, coffee-to-go for the playground, daily special for 990 HUF. Downside – lots of stairs, have to lock up strollers downstairs or carry them up.
Le Biscuit Bistro
- Address: Frankel Leó út 72., Budapest, Hungary, 1023
- Phone: 06 13260854
- Open: Mon – Thu:08:00-21:00, Fri:08:00-22:00, Sat:10:00-22:00
- Info: a new addition to the Buda bistro scene, this French bistro promises to be child-friendly with highchairs and comfy soft bench style seating. Free wi-fi. Little Kids corner with table and chairs and some entertainment.
- Address: 1028 Budapest, Hidegkúti út 81
- Phone: +36 1 274-7733
- Open: Mon-Thu 08-21; Fri 08-22; Sat 09-22; Sun 09-21
- Directions: Tram 61 to Hüvüsvölgy from there buses 257 and 64 to Kossuth Lajos utca stop
- Info: Has a great play area inside for small children as well as a nice garden terrace and outside play area for the kids in the summer. The food is delicious and inexpensive. Yummy Bagels!
- Address: 1024, Bp. Ady Endre u. 19
- Phone: +3618867880
- Open: Call up but on the website it says free parking from 16.00 – midnight
- Directions: Bus 11 from Batthany ter, Either Fuge u (then walk up) or Ady Endre u stop (walk down) you can get on the bus 11 at the Mechwart Liget stop of the 4/6 tram.
- Info: According to Adri, this is a lovely Italian restaurant in the heart of leafy Rose Hill that has a great outside wooden playground and the food is fantastic.
Guru – Mammut II Mall (second floor)
- Address: 1024 Budapest Lövőház u. 2-6. Mammut II. Shopping Mall. 2nd floor
- Phone: +361 336-05-00
- Directions: 4/6 tram to Szena ter
- Info: A decent sandwich bar and restaurant, it has a nice kids corner with plastic toy house and some basic toys
- Address: 1029, 2/a district, Budapest, Ordogarok ut 80
- Open: Every day from 12-23 hours
- Phone: +3613987127
- Directions: Tram 56 from Szell Kalman ter to Huvosvolgy, then change for Bus 57, 63 or 157 to Szechenyi utca. Walk down on Nagyret utca to the restaurant (2 mins walk from bus stop)
- Info: Famous family run restaurant that has been around for decades. Really good Hungarian food. They have a garden with a playground and swings, baby-changing facility, high-chairs and scribbling boards.
- Address: 3rd district, Budapest, Lajos utca 93-99
- Open: every day from 8am – 11pm
- Phone: 06 1 430 17 31
- Directions: Szentendrei HEV, Timar utca stop
- Info: very nice gourmet restaurant with small kids corner with toys, highchairs, baby-changing table in the ladies.
- Address: III Budapest, Nánási út 55.
- Phone: +36 1 240-1188
- Open: Mon-Sun 09-19:30
- Directions: Szentendrei HÉV, Aquincum stop
- Info: Nice cafe with good cakes. They also serve light salads and toasted sandwiches. They have a baby-changing facility.
- Address: Kosztolányi Dezső tér (Corner of Bukarest & Úlászló utca)
- Phone: +36 1 209-3070
- Open: Daily 08-23
- Directions: Buses 14, 114, 41, 86, 87, or tram 49
- Info: Play areas for children inside and outside; diaper-changing station
- Address: 11th district, Érem u. 2. behind the Nyéki Imre swimming pool
- Open:11.30m till 11.30pm
- Phone: 06 1 208-40-27
- Info: The Buda location of Vakvarju has a smaller kid’s corner with some toys. Highchairs, kids menu and baby-changing table upon request.
- Address: 1126 Budapest, Németvölgyi út 17.
- Phone: +36 1 213-4190
- Open: Mon-Fri 08-19, Sat&Sun 09-18
- Directions: From Moszkva tér take 59 towards Déli PU, get off at Királyhágó tér stop, walk up to other end of square
- Info: bistro, café, pastry shop and bakery; kids play area, diaper-changing station, breakfast available, “Brot” bakery on site, beautifully renovated villa with terraces and cute mini-, play-bakery outside for kids
- Address: 1121 Bp, Eotvos ut 59 (Former Normafa Ski House)
- Phone: +36308612199
- Directions: Bus 21 from Szell Kalman ter to Normafa stop (about 20 mins)
- Info: According to Bp. Mom Krystal, Normakert has a great garden with seating outside in the summer and they put up a new wooden playground for the kids. The food is great too so again I am looking forward to trying this out when we are up in the Buda Hills next.
- Address: 1112 Budapest, Németvölgyi út 136
- Phone: 061 248 1652
- Open: Tuesday – Saturday: from 11:00 – 22:00, Sundays: from 11:00 – 17:00
- Directions: Take bus no. 8 from Kálvin tér or Ferenciek tere, get off at the Farkasréti Cemetery and walk 100 m up Németvölgyi út. You can also take tram no. 59 from Moszkva tér or the Southern Railway Station, get off at the Farkasréti Cemetery and walk 100 m up Németvölgyi út.
- Info: I found this restaurant by accident but from what I could see on the website, it looks very professional and it’s all in English too. They say they are proud to be one of the favourite restaurants of family people. The website says they have a children’s corner and a little playground in the garden and on Sundays they even have professional Kindergarten teachers to entertain the children between 12:00 and 16:00 hours. I will be checking it out soon but if you know them already do let us know how it is.
- Address: 1121 Budapest, Hollós út 2.
- Phone: +36 1 275-5244
- Open: Daily 11-22
- Directions: From Moszkva tér take 61 or 59 tram to Városmajor stop, take the Cogwheel Railway (Fogaskerekű) to Svábhegy stop. (Next to the Bajai Halászcsárda)
- Info: “Kids Corner” – play area with toys, etc. Italian food, great pizzas
Andi Lustak was born in Budapest and is a Freelance Technology PR consultant when she is working and a mom of a beautiful 2 years old daughter. Andi studied, worked and lived in London for 9 years before relocating back to Budapest to spend a big chunk of the year in her beloved home city with her British partner. She found Reka’s baby-mommy group when she was only 4 months pregnant in 2009 and met some great friends since through this great community. Baby-free time these days means watching a lot of box sets in the evening, she and her hubby are currently into Mad Man, Homeland and can’t wait for the new seasons of True Blood and Fringe.